noun (plural same or anglerfishes)
A fish that lures prey with a fleshy lobe on a filament arising from the snout, typically with a very large head and wide mouth, and a small body and tail.
- Order Lophiiformes: several families. Some rest motionless on the seabed, in particular those of the family Lophiidae; many others are deep-sea fish.
More example sentences
- At Bangka we found abundant pygmy seahorses, cuttlefish, sponges hiding huge frogfish, and a painted anglerfish slowly flicking her lure in hopes of attracting an unwary meal.
- The prey, often of almost equal size to the anglerfish, fit neatly into the anglerfish's expandable stomachs, Drazen said.
- The North Sea is not the greatest place for fish but on any dive you are likely to see pollack, coalfish, ballan wrasse, anglerfish, topknots and ling.
Definition of anglerfish in:
- The US English dictionary