Definition of Anglophobe in English:
A person having a strong dislike of England or Britain.
- Perhaps England fans shouldn't be allowed flags at all then sour Anglophobes like him wouldn't get so ruffled.
- Steeped in the rhythms and traditions of the English language, a Londoner to the core, Cox nevertheless presented himself as an Anglophobe.
- A friend, one of Britain's sharpest comedy writers and a militant football Anglophobe, will recite the great Peter Jones radio commentary with misty-eyed glee.
- Example sentences
- Vast fortunes were made out of the Irish Famine, almost invariably by Irish people who shut up and joined the chorus of Anglophobia.
- His nationalism was as expansive as his cosmopolitanism, and he railed in equal measure against the narrowness of native deriders of Scotland and the shallowness of Anglophobia.
- Yet anti-English feeling remains a barrier to such celebration - and Anglophobia isn't confined to foreigners.
Definition of Anglophobe in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.