Definition of anharmonic in English:
Relating to or denoting motion that is not simple harmonic.
- The anharmonic dynamics involve diffusive motion and allow sampling of different conformational substates.
- To make a rectifier, the researchers considered an anharmonic chain sandwiched between two harmonic caps, one with stiff springs - which vibrate at higher frequencies - and the other with more pliable springs.
- However, diffusive motion is present at all hydrations and temperatures studied, and the hydration-induced anharmonic motions are not required for activity.
- Example sentences
- The temperature dependence of the FIR absorbance suggests that the anharmonicity of the conformational potential can be quantified, and requires more thorough measurements of this temperature dependence.
- The observed solvent coupling leads to the question of whether the dynamical transition in a solvated protein is controlled by the solvent or whether the intrinsic anharmonicity of protein dynamics also plays a role.
- The onset of the anharmonicity occurs at temperatures that increase from ~ 180 K to 260 K upon decreasing hydration from 0.5 to 0.1 g saccharide/g D 2 O.
Definition of anharmonic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.