nounchiefly North American
- another term for darter ( sense 1).More example sentences
- A bird of southern swamps, the Anhinga is known as the Water-Turkey for its swimming habits and broad tail.
- The evolutionary relationships of anhingas and darters remain unclear.
- The anhingas, which spent their spring and summer scattered here and there along the Texas coast and inland waterways, follow their instinct, drift south and gather together.
mid 18th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi áyinga.
More definitions of anhingaDefinition of anhinga in:
- The US English dictionary