Definition of anisogamy in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
Sexual reproduction by the fusion of dissimilar gametes. Compare with isogamy.
- Meiosis produces 4 gametes, ie. isogamy, anisogamy and oogamy, which through mitosis develops into mature gametes.
- Isogamy and anisogamy, and sometimes oogamy, may occur.
- In many species with gametes of different sizes (anisogamy), sexual crosses typically produce progeny with mitochondrial DNA inherited from the larger gamete.
late 19th century: from Greek anisos 'unequal' + -gamy (from gamos 'marriage').
- Example sentences
- These produce flagellated anisogamous gametes that are released into the water to find each other.
- The gametes are isogamous or anisogamous and are produced from the plurilocular sporangia of gametophytes.
- Chlamydomonas braunii is just like C. reinhardtii, except for the fact that it is anisogamous.
Definition of anisogamy in:
- US English dictionary