Definition of ankylosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Abnormal stiffening and immobility of a joint due to fusion of the bones.
- There was ankylosis of both sacroiliac joints.
- Pain relief and frequent passive movements prevent contractures and joint ankylosis.
- Spondylitis means inflammation of the spine, and ankylosis means that a joint has become fixed solid so that it cannot bend.
Early 18th century: from Greek ankulōsis, from ankuloun 'to crook', from ankulos 'crooked'.
- Example sentences
- A preauricular approach was made exposing the ankylotic segment which was extensively resectioned and a new glenoid cavity was created.
- The treatment plan provides the extraction of the ankylotic deciduous molars and their replacement with implant-borne single crowns.
- In adults, movement can be restored by removing the ankylotic mass with reconstruction using either a costrochondral graft or alloplastic joint prostheses.
Definition of ankylosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan