1Make (someone) a little angry; irritate: the decision really annoyed him your damned cheerfulness has always annoyed me
More example sentences
- If someone else is annoying you, and they have no idea what effect they are having on you, then what is the point in staying annoyed with them?
- It was downhill from there and I was annoyed at the way I was treated after that, and this is my chance to get my own back.
- When we boarded the bus, the driver was annoyed at us for not having tickets, even though it was not our fault.
irritate, vex, make angry, make cross, anger, exasperate, irk, gall, pique, put out, displease, get/put someone's back up, antagonize, get on someone's nerves, rub up the wrong way, ruffle, ruffle someone's feathers, make someone's hackles rise, raise someone's hackles; enrage, infuriate, madden, make someone's blood boil, drive to distraction, goad, provoke
informal aggravate, peeve, hassle, miff, rile, nettle, needle, get, get to, bug, hack off, get under someone's skin, get in someone's hair, get up someone's nose, put someone's nose out of joint, get someone's goat, give someone the hump, rattle someone's cage, drive mad/crazy, drive round the bend/twist, drive up the wall, make someone see red
vulgar slang piss off
British vulgar slang get on someone's tits
rare exacerbate, hump, raspirritated, cross, angry, vexed, exasperated, irked, piqued, displeased, put out, fed up, disgruntled, in a bad mood, in a temper, testy, in high dudgeon, huffy, in a huff, resentful, aggrieved; furious, irate, infuriated, incensed, enraged, wrathful, choleric
informal aggravated, peeved, nettled, miffed, miffy, mad, riled, hacked off, peed off, hot under the collar, foaming at the mouth
British informal browned off, cheesed off, brassed off, not best pleased, narked, ratty, shirty, eggy
West Indian informal vex
vulgar slang pissed off
North American vulgar slang pissed
Middle English (in the sense 'be hateful to'): from Old French anoier (verb), anoi (noun), based on Latin in odio in the phrase mihi in odio est 'it is hateful to me'.
- More example sentences
- We have a enough things to worry about without being tortured by evil lawyers and other professional annoyers!
- With QuickTopic Pro you can also delete entire ranges of messages easily, and you can block the IP addresses of any persistent annoyers.
- Once we get all those annoyers into prison and they start annoying their jailers, what them? Charge them with being annoying, fine them for being so annoying.