(also anorectic /-ˈrɛktɪk/)
- 1Relating to, characterized by, or suffering from anorexia.More example sentences
- Women with bulimic or anorexic female relatives are four to five times more likely to develop the disorder, and twin studies reveal that the genetic risk factor may be as high as 58 percent.
- Although both bulimic and anorectic patients have abnormal eating habits and often exercise excessively, bulimia can be determined by the habit of binge eating and purging.
- A group treatment program was designed for anorexic clients attending a multidisciplinary, outpatient eating disorders clinic in a general hospital.
- 1.1 • informal Extremely thin: the body is positively anorexic, helping to keep the guitar’s weight within reasonable limitsMore example sentences
- Amazingly tall and thin, but not anorexic in the way that some of the papers would have us all believe, she oozes charm from every pore, holding court beside the director of the film Anthony Minghella.
- They have to be above 5 ft 6 inches and must be thin, not anorexic though.
- The original had a thin premise and an anorexic plot, but delivered brilliantly choreographed fight scenes and downplayed gun violence.
nounBack to top
- 1A person suffering from anorexia.More example sentences
- Some of the youngest sufferers are the children of anorexics and bulimics, many of whom raise their families with bizarre attitudes towards food.
- Manchester's only specialist clinic for anorexics and bulimics with potentially fatal conditions is under threat of closure to save NHS cash.
- Drug addicts, alcoholics, bulimics, anorexics, and sex addicts line up to claim social causes of their problems.
- 2 (anorectic) A medicine which produces a loss of appetite.More example sentences
- The cases examined here emphasized the marked individual variation in severity and location of valvular lesions induced by anorectic agents.
- In addition, an effort was made to assess the likelihood that lesions induced by anorectic agents could progress despite cessation of therapy.
- Older anorectic agents have significant side effects and limited benefit, and some have even been withdrawn from the U.S. market because of a possible association with cardiovascular complications.
- More example sentences
- They're extremely flattering to any woman like myself who is far from anorexically thin.
- He admitted they were beautiful; all the males were tan and muscular and the females were blonde and anorexically thin.
- They were usually beanpoles that could eat half a cow and stay anorexically skinny.
More definitions of anorexicDefinition of anorexic in:
- The US English dictionary