A small insect typically having a sting and living in a complex social colony with one or more breeding queens. It is wingless except for fertile adults, which form large mating swarms, and is proverbial for its industriousness.
- Family Formicidae, order Hymenoptera: several subfamilies
More example sentences
- The next time either of those two ants meet any other ant, the information they pass on will be different.
- To scientists, that's as bizarre a finding as a queen bee spawning a colony of ants.
- He has red hair, shouts incessantly and moves as though a colony of ants has invaded his tracksuit trousers.
have ants in one's pants
- informal Be fidgety or restless: what’s the matter with you, always fidgeting—you got ants in your pants?More example sentences
- Maybe it's just God trying to tell me to keep still and stop acting like I have ants in my pants, to just be calm and happy that all is well.
- He appeared to have ants in his pants, refusing to stand still for a minute.
- I have so much energy that the little kids I baby-sit told me it looks like I have ants in my pants.