Definition of anthology in English:
noun (plural anthologies)
- A young football fan is to see her name in print and her soccer poem published in an anthology.
- She notes that because much of today's market is dependent on college survey courses, among the volumes of poetry published, only anthologies can hope for mass-market success.
- She has had poetry published in several anthologies, and short stories in a range of journals and magazines.
- You may find it more satisfying to listen to their early albums rather than this anthology.
- Any anthology of Lennon's work draws comparisons with his songwriting partner.
- Jay is currently working with past members of the band in order to put out an anthology for a soon to be issued pressing.
Mid 17th century: via French or medieval Latin from Greek anthologia, from anthos 'flower' + -logia 'collection' (from legein 'gather'). In Greek, the word originally denoted a collection of the ‘flowers’ of verse, i.e. small choice poems or epigrams, by various authors.
An anthology is literally a collection of flowers. The Greek word anthologia (from anthos ‘flower’, source also of the botanical anther (early 18th century), and logia ‘collection’) was applied to a collection of the ‘flowers’ of verse, poems by various authors that had been chosen as being especially fine. Writing in 1580, the French essayist Montaigne uses the same metaphor: ‘It could be said of me that in this book I have only made up a bunch of other men's flowers, providing of my own only the string that ties them together.’ See also posy
- Example sentences
- If only anthologists would give the date and title of collections that poems are drawn from they would help readers place the material in some context.
- He's one of England's most active and knowledgable anthologists.
- Despite the efforts of most anthologists, her writing also resists stereotyping.
Words that rhyme with anthologyaetiology (US etiology), amphibology, andrology,
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.