Definition of anthozoan in English:
A member of a large class of marine coelenterates (the Anthozoa), such as a sea anemone or coral.
- These anthozoans resemble stony corals but lack skeletons.
- The oldest anthozoans are probably some of the polyp-like and sea pen-like fossils from the Vendian (late Precambrian).
- In addition to their relevance as model organisms for understanding metazoan evolution, anthozoans are ecologically important.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting anthozoans.
- The origin of such symmetry is not related to the basic anthozoan body plan.
- Additional evidence for a role for estrogen in anthozoan reproduction comes from measurements of estrogen release into seawater prior to or during spawning events.
- Therefore, the anthozoan / dinoflagellate association possesses a CCM, including inducible host CA in proportion to the density of zooxanthellae.
Definition of anthozoan in:
- US English dictionary