Definition of anthropoid in English:
1Resembling a human being in form: anthropoid gods
More example sentences
- Archaeologists and site-workers anxiously probed into the sand and uncover three magnificently carved unidentified wooden anthropoid sarcophagi dating back to the 26th Dynasty.
- The stage is dominated throughout by huge anthropoid figures, I should think over 30 feet tall.
- This fairly sturdy oversized paperback is printed in blue, with uninspiring cartoons of a cross-eyed kid in a beanie and his anthropoid dog.
1.1 Zoology Relating to the group of higher primates, which includes monkeys, apes, and humans.
- But now we have much more complete material - upper and lower jaws - that gives us a better idea of what Biretia is and how it fits into the broader picture of early anthropoid evolution.
- His overview is especially effective, as it clearly presents several hypotheses of anthropoid origins.
- But fundamental questions remain to be answered about anthropoid origins in Asia and Africa.
1.2 Zoology (Of an ape) belonging to the family of great apes.
- They are heavy-bodied, thick-necked anthropoid apes, native to the swampy coastal forests of Sumatra and Borneo.
- This usually occurs in gibbons and occasionally in other anthropoid apes.
- In 1917, he conducted experiments on anthropoid apes on the Island of Tenerife.
nounZoology Back to top
A higher primate, especially an ape or apeman.
- Suborder Anthropoidea, order Primates
- Primates, particularly anthropoids, are noted for their considerable cerebral complexity.
- The ancient teeth and jawbones of the tiny, monkeylike creatures shed new light on the poorly understood evolution of early anthropoids, a suborder of primates that includes apes, monkeys, and humans.
- However, if present day anthropoids are any indication, early primates were quick to take advantage of these new arboreal plant foods.
Definition of anthropoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan