1Resembling a human being in form: anthropoid gods
More example sentences
- Archaeologists and site-workers anxiously probed into the sand and uncover three magnificently carved unidentified wooden anthropoid sarcophagi dating back to the 26th Dynasty.
- The stage is dominated throughout by huge anthropoid figures, I should think over 30 feet tall.
- This fairly sturdy oversized paperback is printed in blue, with uninspiring cartoons of a cross-eyed kid in a beanie and his anthropoid dog.
1.1 Zoology Relating to the group of higher primates, which includes monkeys, apes, and humans.
- But now we have much more complete material - upper and lower jaws - that gives us a better idea of what Biretia is and how it fits into the broader picture of early anthropoid evolution.
- His overview is especially effective, as it clearly presents several hypotheses of anthropoid origins.
- But fundamental questions remain to be answered about anthropoid origins in Asia and Africa.
1.2 Zoology (Of an ape) belonging to the groups that include the great apes and gibbons.
- They are heavy-bodied, thick-necked anthropoid apes, native to the swampy coastal forests of Sumatra and Borneo.
- This usually occurs in gibbons and occasionally in other anthropoid apes.
- In 1917, he conducted experiments on anthropoid apes on the Island of Tenerife.
A higher primate, especially an ape or apeman.
- Suborder Anthropoidea, order Primates.
- Primates, particularly anthropoids, are noted for their considerable cerebral complexity.
- The ancient teeth and jawbones of the tiny, monkeylike creatures shed new light on the poorly understood evolution of early anthropoids, a suborder of primates that includes apes, monkeys, and humans.
- However, if present day anthropoids are any indication, early primates were quick to take advantage of these new arboreal plant foods.
Mid 19th century: from Greek anthrōpoeidēs, from anthrōpos 'human being' + -oid.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: an¦thro|poid
Definition of anthropoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.