Definition of anticholinergic in English:
(Chiefly of a drug) inhibiting the physiological action of acetylcholine, especially as a neurotransmitter.
- Main outcome measures: Numbers of elderly people with new prescriptions of highly anticholinergic antidepressants and less anticholinergic antidepressants.
- He thought for a minute and added, ‘So, if we improve cognition by increasing acetylcholine, it makes sense that anticholinergic drugs can make dementia a lot worse.’
- Antihistamine and anticholinergic drugs are relatively inexpensive.
nounBack to top
An anticholinergic drug.
- Both antihistamines and anticholinergics can have anticholinergic side effects, including dry mouth, urinary retention, blurred vision, and exacerbation of narrow-angle glaucoma.
- Probably the most common medications used for the treatment of incontinence fall into the general category of anticholinergics or drugs designed to ‘relax’ the bladder.
- These drugs are called anticholinergics and include oxybutynin, tolterodine, trospium chloride, and propiverine.
Definition of anticholinergic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.