A weather system with high barometric pressure at its centre, around which air slowly circulates in a clockwise (northern hemisphere) or anticlockwise (southern hemisphere) direction. Anticyclones are associated with calm, fine weather.
- In summer, the weather associated with anticyclones is usually fine and cloud-free.
- All sorts of weather systems can have an impact, dependent on the location, such as mid-latitude cyclones, subtropical anticyclones, monsoon systems, and tropical cyclones.
- In our hemisphere, areas of high barometric pressure, anticyclones, create winds which circulate anticlockwise.
- Example sentences
- In the quiet anticyclonic periods, after sunny days, come the damaging night frosts.
- These temperature layers are referred to as the lapse rate and anticyclonic conditions are associated with ‘stable’ lapse rates.
- The remote end of the cold front is thus behind the anticyclonic core.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: anti|cyc¦lone
Definition of anticyclone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.