- Denoting or exhibiting a form of magnetism characterized by an antiparallel alignment of adjacent electron spins in a crystal lattice. Compare with ferrimagnetic.More example sentences
- In antiferromagnetic materials, the magnetic moments of the adjacent atoms point in opposite directions.
- However, superconducting crystals that have an antiferromagnetic sub-lattice of rare-earth atoms can, and do, exist.
- Novel materials, such as those with heavy fermions that exhibit antiferromagnetic responses, often have electronic properties that cannot be explained by current physics textbooks.
More definitions of antiferromagneticDefinition of antiferromagnetic in:
- The US English dictionary