- 1A substance that inhibits oxidation, especially one used to counteract the deterioration of stored food products.More example sentences
- An imbalance between production of ROS and production of antioxidants results in oxidative stress.
- Richness in color appears to be a sign that foods are high in antioxidants.
- Alkaloids, phenols, antioxidants and lipids were never detected.
- 1.1A substance such as vitamin C or E that removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in a living organism.More example sentences
- They claim that the modified atmosphere packaging process damages vitamin C and antioxidants in lettuce leaves.
- Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant, and vitamin D may check prostate-cancer cell growth.
- These antioxidants and enzymes remove or inactivate the free radicals.
More definitions of antioxidantDefinition of antioxidant in:
- The US English dictionary