Definition of antitype in English:
1A person or thing that represents the opposite of someone or something else: the antitype of female virtue
More example sentences
- Finally, we see him holy in his death, as the antitype of the sin offerings of old.
- He goes beyond masculinity in the only fatherhood worthy of the name, and is at the same time, in this eternal virginity, the antitype of all motherhood.
- Within this clearly defined conjunction of market types, the old fishwife has a role to play that is fully legitimate: she is the social antitype to her customers, but also their economic partner in exchange.
2Something that is represented by a symbol.
- The first is an antitype of the Resurrection and, unlike the more formal Old Testament antitypes, offers direct evidence of Christ's ability to save those close to him.
- Protestant divines had tended to restrict typology to figures, actions, and objects in the Old Testament which in their view shadowed forth Christ as their antitype.
- Needless to say, the Old Testament teems with such types and pictures which (as we saw last month) were specifically given to provide insight, instruction and illumination in relation to their new-covenant antitypes.
- Example sentences
- The guaranteed, antitypical blessings for the elect rest exclusively upon the meritorious work of Christ.
- The truest meaning in the book of Revelation is its antitypical or Spiritual meaning.
- It has Romeo and Juliet undertones and both Hilton and Borgnine who usually play good guy roles here play antitypical bad guys.
Definition of antitype in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.