Definition of antiviral in English:
1 Medicine (Chiefly of a drug or treatment) effective against viruses.
- For infections caused by the chickenpox or herpes viruses, antiviral drugs may be prescribed if the infection is caught early.
- Specific antiviral treatment has been effective in improving the survival of the patients.
- Harms of antiviral treatment may include drug hypersensitivity and renal impairment.
2 Computing (Of software) designed to detect, remove, or offer protection against computer viruses.
- Like the antiviral programs, they will always be reacting to the last exploit, not anticipating the next.
- Users are advised not to open suspicious attachments and to update their antiviral signatures to block the virus.
- Antiviral software cannot possibly keep up.
nounMedicine Back to top
An antiviral drug or medicine.
- And if it is, what they can do is that they they can't give you an antiviral for this.
- We were talking about it in our meeting this morning, the growing of a virus and trying to make an antiviral and all of that.
- Hence a natural anti-viral produced by a plant to defend itself can also be used by a human as an anti-viral.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia