1An order of tailless amphibians that comprises the frogs and toads. Also called Salientia or Batrachia.
- Of three possible histories, the only one that has not been seriously considered is an Anura (frogs and toads) - Gymnophiona sister relationship, with Caudata sister to that group.
- Frogs and toads make up the order Anura, which is part of the vertebrate class Amphibia.
- Until recently, study of the motor control of amphibian feeding was limited to a few model taxa, for example the genera Bufo and Rana representing the Anura, and salamanders of the genus Ambystoma representing the Caudata.
1.1 (anura) Amphibians of the order Anura; frogs and toads.
- The living Anura are typically divided into three suborders.
- The Anura are remarkable for the total absence of teeth in the mandibles in all but one or two genera.
- The toxic epidermis of some Anura when impacted into a bite wound via teeth & saliva can likely create these reactions.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Anura
Definition of Anura in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.