noun[mass noun] Medicine
Failure of the kidneys to produce urine.
- Chronic renal failure with oliguria or anuria complicates fluid management during critical illnesses, particularly when cardiac disease coexists.
- Other emergency conditions are anuria and acute renal failure secondary to bilateral obstruction, or unilateral obstruction in a patient with a solitary functioning kidney.
- Patients with severe oliguria or anuria (output of less than 100 mL of urine per day) are likely to have postrenal acute renal failure.
- Example sentences
- Oliguric or anuric renal failure is the result in the most severe cases and, although permanent renal failure is rare, recovery of renal function may take up to two months.
- This therapy was continued for 2 months, with the patient subsequently becoming anuric and dependent on hemodialysis.
- Despite therapies, her mental status worsened, and she became anuric.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: an¦uria
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.