Definition of anxiolytic in English:
(Chiefly of a drug) used to reduce anxiety.
- Patients were not allowed to take antidepressant or anxiolytic drugs during the study.
- Grief mostly requires reassurance from friends and counseling by family physician with occasional small dose of anxiolytic medication.
- Although hypoxemia and anxiety may cause agitation and restlessness, anxiolytic medications should be administered only when the physician is prepared to intubate.
nounBack to top
A drug used to relieve anxiety.
- Only two classes of drugs (hypnotics and anxiolytics, and antidepressants) were independently associated with an increased odds of falling.
- Antiepileptics, antipsychotics, and anxiolytics are drugs that may be used as sedatives.
- She had received counseling, antidepressants, anxiolytics, and sleep medication from her former physician, but in her opinion these had merely dulled her cognition and memory.
Definition of anxiolytic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.