- (Chiefly of a drug) used to relieve constipation.More example sentences
- The routine use of Triphala each morning is thought to detoxify the body and restore the integrity of the entire digestive tract, with a perfect balance between its astringent, demulcent, digestive, and aperient properties.
- In the spring time of the year, the judicious use of aperient medicines is much to be commended.
- All parts of the plant, but especially the root, are slightly aperient.
nounBack to top
- A drug used to relieve constipation.More example sentences
- The aperient to which the author appears to give the preference over all others is senna.
- Aperients should not be given if any doubt about cause of constipation exists.
- Besides alcohol and ether, the patient took vast quantities of aperients, thyroid preparations and various salts, as well as homoeopathic preparations.
early 17th century: from Latin aperient- 'opening', from aperire.
More definitions of aperientDefinition of aperient in:
- The US English dictionary