Definition of apheresis in English:
noun[mass noun] (plural aphereses /-siːz/)
1 Linguistics Omission of the initial sound of a word, as when he is is pronounced he’s.
- In some words initial e has been lost by aphaeresis: squire from esquire, sample from example, state from estate.
- When the indefinite article was being restored to its separate existence, the word ‘atomy’ was falsely coined from ‘anatomy’ through aphaeresis, by the removal of the supposed indefinite article.
2 Medicine A technique by which a particular substance or component is removed from the blood, the main volume being returned to the body.
- Another method used for separating out some of the components of blood consists of a technique known as apheresis.
- Removing blood stem cells from your blood during apheresis doesn't hurt.
- Platelets collected by apheresis were counted as single units.
Definition of apheresis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia