A small bug which feeds by sucking sap from plants; a blackfly or greenfly. Aphids reproduce rapidly, sometimes producing live young without mating, and large numbers can cause extensive damage to plants.
- Superfamily Aphidoidea, suborder Homoptera
More example sentences
- The gardener's friend, the busy little ladybird helps by eating aphids and greenfly.
- As a group, aphids attack a plant by sucking its fluids from tender new growth.
- Keep a look out for aphids on tender young growth or on plants that are stressed and unhappy.
late 19th century: back-formation from aphides, plural of aphis.
Definition of aphid in:
- The US English dictionary