Definition of apical in English:
1 technical Relating to or denoting an apex.
- Shoot length was measured from the insertion point on the stem to the tangent line between the apices of the most apical green leaves.
- Cell size was calculated by dividing the mean total apical area by the mean number of cells for each apex.
- The top-most, or apical, bud of a shoot has dominance over all the lateral buds below it.
2 Phonetics (Of a consonant) formed with the tip of the tongue at or near the front teeth or the alveolar ridge, for example th or trilled r.
- His contribution to the study of errors in apical consonant articulation are world famous.
- Variations can be made by changing the shape of the tongue behind the apical closure.