noun[mass noun] Medicine
Temporary cessation of breathing, especially during sleep: thousands suffer from sleep apnoea
More example sentences
- You could have a sleep disorder, such as obstructive sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome.
- Untreated obstructive sleep apnea syndrome can result in serious complications.
- Mixed apnea, which is rare, is a combination of obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
- Example sentences
- Some 70 percent had a history of unexplained illness (including apnoeic attacks, or episodes of 'near-miss cot death').
- A pocket mask will enable ventilatory support to be given to apnoeic patients (whether due to trauma or medical causes).
- Each apnoeic event per hour of sleep added about 1% to the risk of having hypertension.
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek apnoia, from apnous 'breathless'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ap¦noea
Definition of apnoea in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.