Definition of apostle in English:
1 (Apostle) Each of the twelve chief disciples of Jesus Christ.
- This is evident in the lives of the prophets, John the Baptist, the Apostles and the Lord Jesus Christ himself.
- At the last supper, Jesus Christ tells the Apostles: ‘Now I'm going to turn the water into wine.’
- Christ, the Virgin Mary, the Apostles, saints, angels and religious events are depicted.
1.1An important early Christian teacher or pioneering missionary: Kiril and Metodije, the apostles of the Slavs
More example sentences
- Those who represent the Pentecostal movement say that missionaries function as apostles.
- We reject and condemn these errors and all others that contradict and contravene the above doctrine as being contrary to the pure Word of God, the writings of the holy prophets and apostles, and our Christian Creed and Confession.
- According to tradition, in the first century the apostle Thomas evangelized the region on his way to India.
1.2A vigorous and pioneering advocate or supporter of a particular policy, idea, or cause: a man once known as the apostle of free-market economics
More example sentences
- While the idea of human improvement may be implicit in notions of renaissance, he was anything but an apostle of the idea of progress.
- It is not fashionable these days, in a world in which the apostles of the free market hold sway, to cite Karl Marx, who has long since been demonized in the cathedrals of capitalism.
- In an age of cinema that favours familiarity, remake and rehash, this director remains one of the few remaining apostles of the pioneer spirit.
- apostleship noun
- Example sentences
- Your supposed gospel is no gospel, and your supposed apostleship is no apostleship.
- Would we rather not accept the responsibility of apostleship at Pentecost and its radical implications?
- In the greeting, Paul establishes his credentials by asserting the divine basis of his apostleship.
Old English apostol, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek apostolos 'messenger', from apostellein 'send forth'.
Words that rhyme with apostlecolossal, dossal, fossil, glossal, jostle, throstle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.