- A line from the centre of a regular polygon at right angles to any of its sides.More example sentences
- Given a circle, the apothem is the perpendicular distance from the midpoint of a chord to the circle's center.
- Once the perimeter and the apothem are known, the formula relating the two to area can be used to solve for the area.
- For a polygon of n sides, there are n possible apothems, all the same length of course.
late 19th century: from Greek apotithenai 'put aside, deposit', from apo 'away' + tithenai 'to place'.
More definitions of apothemDefinition of apothem in:
- The US English dictionary