1Attractive or interesting: village life is somehow more appealing
More example sentences
- What it is exactly that I'm supposed to find appealing or interesting in people who end up wading knee deep in gore I simply don't understand.
- How attractive and appealing is the other clothing in the store?
- Hopefully more people will use the route for exercise and it can also be marketed as an appealing attraction from a tourist point of view.
attractive, engaging, alluring, enchanting, captivating, bewitching, fascinating, winning, winsome, likeable, lovable, charming, delightful;
beautiful, pretty, good-looking, prepossessing, striking, fetching, delectable, desirable;
Scottish & Northern English bonny
British informal tasty
inviting, attractive, tempting, appetizing, enticing, seductive;
agreeable, to one's liking, pleasant, pleasing, pleasurable;
interesting, intriguing, irresistible
informal juicy, sexy
2Showing or expressing a desire for help or sympathy: an appealing look
More example sentences
- He now has recorded all three of the symphonies, and he is sympathetic to their appealing late Romantic gush.
- The chauffeur made wild, appealing gestures of his innocence, evidently to no avail, for when he turned around and climbed back into the driver's seat his expression was not a little dejected.
- The women, with tears and appealing gestures, crowded around the officer, begging him to spare their sons and husbands; the men stood silent, with bloodless faces and dumb imploring eyes.
- Example sentences
- Of the works that take a discernible stand - many are appealingly vague - 95% are anti-war, and most are frankly rather glib and trite in this expression.
- The waiters (to a man debonair and charming) overfill the glasses and it is a somewhat acquired taste - like sucking raw damsons - but once you get over the astringency, it is appealingly cheap.
- Afternoons were for lazy excursions into the backwaters, on horseback if the fancy took you, where mustachioed men are men and ride gaucho style, or less appealingly carry squealing pigs to market strapped across their bicycles.
Words that rhyme with appealingceiling, Darjeeling, dealing, feeling, Keeling, peeling, revealing, self-sealing, shieling, wheeler-dealing, wheeling
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.