- (Of a subject of study) put to practical use as opposed to being theoretical: applied chemistry Compare with pure.More example sentences
- The results of this study have both applied and theoretical implications.
- Academic councils devoted to the applied sciences and practical studies also tended to be better funded.
- Factions within the party were hostile to antiquated academic privileges and promoted new forms of applied scientific research and practice.
More definitions of appliedDefinition of applied in:
- The US English dictionary