Definition of approval in English:
1The action of approving something: the road schemes have been given approval [count noun]: they have delayed the launch to await project approvals
More example sentences
- Detailed schemes for each area are still being drawn up and the first wave of project approvals are expected by the end of the year.
- They are also awaiting payments and approvals under various schemes.
- He added that all the relevant approvals for the project are in order right down to the environmental impact assessment.
acceptance, agreement, consent, assent, acquiescence, compliance, concurrence;
blessing, imprimatur, seal/stamp of approval, rubber stamp;
sanction, endorsement, ratification, authorization, mandate, licence, validation;
confirmation, support, backing;
informal the go-ahead, the green light, the OK, the thumbs up, the nod, say-so
1.1The belief that someone or something is good or acceptable: step-parents need to win a child’s approval
More example sentences
- I would hope that the west London lines would meet with approval and link up to Heathrow and Gatwick.
- It is a surprise to find you quoting him with approval so early in the book.
- Neither suggestion met with approval so I repaired to the kitchen to make coffee.
approbation, appreciation, favour, liking, encouragement, support, acceptance;
admiration, regard, esteem, respect, commendation, applause, acclaim, acclamation, praise
- 1on approval
- (Of goods) supplied on condition that they may be returned if not satisfactory: we would be happy to send you a selection on approvalMore example sentences
on trial, under probation;on sale or returnBritish informal on appro
- She immediately sent him three tree of life panels on approval, which he returned because ‘I don't think they really suit the style of my house.’
- We will rush a framing job when necessary to accommodate and will not add rush fees; we allow work to go out on approval and be returned if it does not work; and we offer free consultation services.
- He added that services like discounts, selection, art on approval, flaming, installation, commissions and delivery can help, as well.
- 2seal (or stamp) of approval
- An official statement or indication that something is accepted or regarded favourably: the minister gave his seal of approval to the projectMore example sentences
- It didn't get the official stamp of approval again until 1926, when the university senate and principal gave the procession a cautious thumbs-up.
- The big news this week is that the planners have given the official stamp of approval for the new community facility in the fields opposite Marshallstown houses.
- They and the conservation lobby continue to hope that their efforts to preserve the city's heritage will soon get an official stamp of approval.
Words that rhyme with approvalremoval
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.