noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A polyunsaturated fatty acid present in animal fats. It is important in metabolism, especially in the synthesis of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, and is an essential constituent of the diet.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: eicosa-5,8,11,14-enoic acid; chemical formula: C19H31COOH
- Those essential nutrients - including taurine, arachidonic acid, and vitamin A - abound in meat.
- Psoriatic plaques have been shown to increase arachidonic acid and leukotriene levels compared to normal skin.
- The fats in animal products break down into arachidonic acid, a pro-inflammatory fatty acid.
More definitions of arachidonic acidDefinition of arachidonic acid in:
- The US English dictionary