(US also archeology)
Definition of archaeology in English:
The study of human history and prehistory through the excavation of sites and the analysis of artefacts and other physical remains.
- Jaromir Malek studied Egyptology and archaeology at Charles University, Prague.
- I am not a professional archaeologist, but a member of the public with an interest in archaeology and history.
- The awkward relationship between archaeology and history is an old problem.
archaeologize (also archaeologise) verb
- Example sentences
- Though impressive in scale, the architecture is not specific enough to invite fussy archeologizing.
- Having exhausted sites of the remote past, Berlin is now archeologizing itself.
- It is in this currently very momentous site of literary and cultural research that I am comparatively archeologizing.
Definition of archaeology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.