(US also archeology)
Definition of archaeology in English:
The study of human history and prehistory through the excavation of sites and the analysis of artefacts and other physical remains.
- Jaromir Malek studied Egyptology and archaeology at Charles University, Prague.
- I am not a professional archaeologist, but a member of the public with an interest in archaeology and history.
- The awkward relationship between archaeology and history is an old problem.
archaeologize (also archaeologise) verb
- Example sentences
- Though impressive in scale, the architecture is not specific enough to invite fussy archeologizing.
- Having exhausted sites of the remote past, Berlin is now archeologizing itself.
- It is in this currently very momentous site of literary and cultural research that I am comparatively archeologizing.
Definition of archaeology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan