Definition of argus in English:
1 (also argus pheasant) A large long-tailed pheasant with generally brown plumage, found in SE Asia and Indonesia.
- Two species in the family Phasianidae: the great argus (Argusianus argus) and the crested argus (Rheinartia ocellata), which has the longest tail feathers of any bird
- Male argus pheasants impress with an involved dance, spreading their wings to form a saucer for a finale.
- There are also gibbons, leaf monkeys, jungle cats, forest deer, otter, hornbills and argus pheasants.
- Though the argus pheasant is not as colorful as its relatives the peacock and the palawock pheasant, it is still an interesting looking bird.
2A small brown or bluish Eurasian butterfly which has eye-like markings near the wing margins.
- Aricia and other genera, family Lycaenidae
- The areas often support many rare or uncommon species such as northern brown argus butterflies and wood bitter vetch.
- Several species of the Argus Butterfly exist but the Eden Argus exists nowhere else than in Castle Eden Dene.
- The caterpillar of the Argus Butterfly feeds almost exclusively on the leaves of the rock rose.
3 (also argus fish) A silvery deep-bodied fish with round spots, found throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific region in both fresh and salt water.
- Scatophagus argus, family Scatophagidae
- Bruce holds the Nikonos at arm's length to snap his own picture while feeding an argus fish.
- Scatophagus argus (Argus Fish, Spotted Scat) are sensitive to nitrites.
- The best-known species, the scat, or argus fish is a popular freshwater aquarium fish when small.
Definition of argus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan