Definition of armchair in English:
Pronunciation: /ɑːmˈtʃɛː , ˈɑːm-/
1A large, comfortable chair with side supports for a person’s arms.
- Office chairs, armchairs, sofas - your back is in peril from all of them.
- Opposite the table was another sitting area, with sofas and armchairs forming three sides of a square.
- The studio is furnished with sofas, armchairs and a coffee table - not a desk in sight.
1.1 [as modifier] Lacking or not involving practical or direct experience of a particular subject or activity: an armchair traveller
More example sentences
- The result is a unique perspective applauded by armchair naturalists in which the stars of the film are also the videographers.
- What do these armchair counter-terrorists propose that Moscow should have done?
- Almost all other commentary was grotesque - the work of armchair generals.
Definition of armchair in:
- US English dictionary