Definition of arnica in English:
1A plant of the daisy family which bears yellow, daisy-like flowers, found in cooler regions of the northern hemisphere.
- Genus Arnica, family Compositae: many species, especially mountain tobacco (A. montana) of central Europe
- Brown-faced golden daisies bobbed in the gentle breeze; smaller arnicas vied with the fledgling's feathers for sunny brilliance.
- Among the wildflowers are a wild geranium, an aster with smooth stems and leaves, leafy arnica, yellow monkey flower, meadow rue, and bluebells.
- As we climb, the maze of trees, ferns, and blueberry bushes gives way to subalpine meadows painted with purple lupine, pale blue gentians, crimson columbine, and yellow arnica.
1.1 [mass noun] A preparation of the arnica plant used medicinally, especially for the treatment of bruises.
- Skin creams containing vitamin C or arnica can also help bruises heal.
- Use of 26 types of homeopathic medicines was reported, with the most frequently used being arnica.
- In between treatments, apply arnica gel to the injury site.
mid 18th century: modern Latin, of unknown origin.
Definition of arnica in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan