Definition of art history in English:
The academic study of the history and development of painting, sculpture, and the other visual arts: a degree in art history [as modifier]: the art history department
More example sentences
- Pater was writing just when the working methodology of academic art history was being established.
- The study of art history in a Ph.D. program took up the better part of the next 15 years.
- Hegel has been called the father of history for the historicizing model he offered the field of art history.
art historian noun
- Example sentences
- France Morin is an independent contemporary art curator and art historian based in New York.
- Much has been made of Smyth's family background, for he is the son of Renaissance art historian Craig Hugh Smyth and was brought up in Italy.
- Along with Ruskin, Pater is the late-nineteenth-century English art historian whose writing and arguments remain of living interest.
Definition of art history in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan