Definition of artificer in English:
1A skilled mechanic in the armed forces.
- The separate pay scales for artificers / technicians and for other branches will disappear.
- Engine room artificers, boatswains, tugboat crews and quartermasters in the harbour master section (navigation branch) of the Sri Lanka Port Authority began an overtime boycott on November 12.
- A certain number of foreman artificers, electricians, blacksmiths etc, are also required for service with the army.
2 archaic A skilled craftsman or inventor: figurative the artificers of their pleasure
More example sentences
- The grant was for land to provide a site for a Trades Hall and Literary Institute at Sydney for the use of artificers and operatives.
- In every civilization, the skilled artificer has an honored place beside the scribe and the shaman.
- Peacham, indeed, offered drawing as ‘a gentleman's exercise’ which could also serve ‘for the necessarie use and generall benefite of diuers trades-men and artificers, as namly painters, ioyners, free-masons, cutters, and carvers.’
Definition of artificer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.