- 1 [mass noun] A fetid resinous gum obtained from the roots of a herbaceous plant, used in herbal medicine and Indian cooking.More example sentences
- A variety of flavoured saunf (fennel seeds), fruity breath-fresheners and indigenous Indian spices like asafoetida and amchur come at Rs.40 for a 100 gm packet.
- Apparently, he doesn't like using garlic in his food… so he uses this spice called asafetida, which is really stinky and looked like Chinese medicine powder to me.
- No plant now known from Libya or N. Africa produces a resin that resembles asafoetida.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin, from asa (from Persian azā 'mastic') + foetida (see fetid).
More definitions of asafoetidaDefinition of asafoetida in:
- The US English dictionary