Definition of ascites in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
The accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, causing abdominal swelling.
- Patients present with the insidious onset of ascites, abdominal pain, and fever.
- With the increase of liver protein synthesis, the liver has a tendency to enlarge causing ascites (abdominal swelling).
- Patients who have cirrhosis with ascites are prone to spontaneous bacterial peritonitis.
- Example sentences
- Treatment of hepatic hydrothorax is usual ascitic care, including salt restriction and diuretics.
- Tubercular ascitic fluid is of high attenuation value due to its high protein content.
- No malignant cells were detected in the ascitic fluid.
Definition of ascites in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia