Extremely stupid or foolish: Lydia ignored his asinine remark
More example sentences
- A contestant makes a truly asinine remark and the boredom abates slightly, even as annoyance levels are soaring.
- Each interview conducted by a HR specialist was asinine in the extreme, without exception.
- However, all of his blind, asinine nonsense was going to be put to an end.
stupid, foolish, pointless, brainless, mindless, senseless, doltish, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, insane, lunatic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, preposterous, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, childish, infantile, puerile, immature, juvenile, inane, witless, half-baked, empty-headed, unintelligent, half-witted, slow-witted, weak-minded
Scottish & Northern English informal glaikit
South African informal dof
West Indian informal dotish
late 15th century: from Latin asininus, from asinus 'ass'.
- More example sentences
- What a sad opinion one forms of men, what bitterness grips one's heart when one sees such delirious asininity on display.
- I'm glad this particular bit of asininity was exposed to the harsh wind of public scrutiny beyond this humble organ.
- Three cheers for Wandsworth Council, once more applying common sense against bureaucratic asininity.