Definition of asinine in English:
Extremely stupid or foolish: Lydia ignored his asinine remark
More example sentences
- A contestant makes a truly asinine remark and the boredom abates slightly, even as annoyance levels are soaring.
- Each interview conducted by a HR specialist was asinine in the extreme, without exception.
- However, all of his blind, asinine nonsense was going to be put to an end.
stupid, foolish, pointless, brainless, mindless, senseless, doltish, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, insane, lunatic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, preposterous, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, childish, infantile, puerile, immature, juvenile, inane, witless, half-baked, empty-headed, unintelligent, half-witted, slow-witted, weak-minded
Scottish & Northern English informal glaikit
South African informal dof
West Indian informal dotish
late 15th century: from Latin asininus, from asinus 'ass'.
- Example sentences
- What a sad opinion one forms of men, what bitterness grips one's heart when one sees such delirious asininity on display.
- I'm glad this particular bit of asininity was exposed to the harsh wind of public scrutiny beyond this humble organ.
- Three cheers for Wandsworth Council, once more applying common sense against bureaucratic asininity.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia