1 (also asp viper) A small southern European viper with an upturned snout.
- Vipera aspis, family Viperidae
- Overseas they have a mixture of cobras, vipers, asps and snake types that we don't have here, that produce quite different effects.
- But, he mused: ‘I feel that I may be taking an asp to my bosom.’
- Surely the worst asps in this world are the ones one has clasped to the bosom.
1.1 another term for Egyptian cobra.
- In his play Antony and Cleopatra, Cleopatra is delivered a basket of figs containing an asp, the venomous snake that ultimately causes her death.
- She would not live this way, so history says she had an asp, which was an Egyptian cobra, brought to her hidden in a basket of figs.
- This doesn't sound too appetizing to Cleo, and she has an asp - a rather poisonous snake - brought to her hidden in a basket of figs.
2A large predatory Eurasian freshwater fish of the carp family.
- Aspius aspius, family Cyprinidae
- Fish like the asp are gems waiting to be uncovered.
- Added to this were exotic creatures such as ide, and asp, and armfuls of vast trout from Vättern.
- There are problems with using ‘outsize’ baits and our 2-4 lb asp and zander, meant that we had to adapt our rigs to get a good hook presentation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan