noun[mass noun] Christian Church
- 1The rite of sprinkling holy water at the beginning of the Mass, still used occasionally in Catholic churches.More example sentences
- The asperges may be done after the Renewal of Baptismal Vows at the Easter Vigil.
- At the Eucharist with the September CPT delegation, we began the liturgy with asperges.
- 1.1 [count noun] another term for aspergillum.
late 16th century: the first word of the Latin text of Psalms 50(51):7 (literally 'thou shalt purge', but translated in the Authorized Version as 'purge me'), recited before mass during the sprinkling of holy water.
More definitions of aspergesDefinition of asperges in:
- The US English dictionary