- 1An establishment for the assaying of ores and metals.More example sentences
- At Aclare itself a blacksmith store, carpenter shop, assay office, cottages, and a machinery house were all under construction and nearing completion.
- He says there are buildings in Queenstown such as the old assay office which could be converted to house an off-campus site for the university for any project.
- The Dublin assay office in Dublin Castle is the main certification centre for the country.
- 1.1British An institution authorized to award hallmarks to articles made from precious metals. There are currently four in Britain, at London, Birmingham, Sheffield, and Edinburgh.More example sentences
- But either way, it is a great deal less trouble to forge these marks than those of an English assay office.