1Make (an unpleasant feeling) less intense: the letter assuaged the fears of most members
More example sentences
- For some reason it's comforting to be able to really dislike him; it assuages the guilty feelings our envy produces.
- Trying to assuage the ruffled feelings of the masses by conducting such events in situations of necessity may be fine.
- The subsequent amendments were being proposed to assuage the feelings of industry.
relieve, ease, alleviate, soothe, mitigate, dampen, allay, calm, palliate, abate, lull, temper, suppress, smother, stifle, subdue, tranquillize, mollify, moderate, modify, tone down, attenuate, dilute, lessen, diminish, decrease, reduce, lower;
put an end to, put a stop to, take the edge off
1.1Satisfy (an appetite or desire): an opportunity occurred to assuage her desire for knowledge
More example sentences
- Once the most serious hunger pangs were assuaged, Nicholas remembered his manners and his curiosity.
- Our hunger was rapidly assuaged, and by the time we pushed our plates away, we were both full.
- How else is he supposed to assuage England's desperate hunger for success if he cannot even get players together for a few days?
satisfy, fulfil, gratify, appease, indulge, relieve, slake, sate, satiate, quench, quell, overcome, check, keep in check, dull, blunt, allay, take the edge off, diminish
- Example sentences
- Everything that the human race has done and thought is concerned with the satisfaction of deeply felt needs and the assuagement of pain.
- It is said that they are in flight from an insupportable nervous strain, from which they find temporary assuagement only in sleep.
- When we fall in love we imagine we have found an ultimate assuagement of loneliness.
Middle English: from Old French assouagier, asouagier, based on Latin ad- 'to' (expressing change) + suavis 'sweet'.
Words that rhyme with assuageage, backstage, cage, downstage, engage, enrage, gage, gauge, mage, multistage, offstage, onstage, Osage, page, Paige, rage, rampage, sage, stage, swage, under-age, upstage, wage
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: as|suage
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.