noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Abnormal physical weakness or lack of energy: the asthenia of chronic respiratory diseaseMore example sentences
- Diagnosis begins with a patient history distinguishing weakness from fatigue or asthenia, separate conditions with different etiologies that can coexist with, or be confused for, weakness.
- The most common effects of toxicity from chemotherapies for advanced colorectal cancer are diarrhoea, mucositis, asthenia, and neutropenia.
- A 39-year-old man presented with general weakness and asthenia, which he had been experiencing for three months.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek astheneia, from asthenēs 'weak'.
More definitions of astheniaDefinition of asthenia in:
- The US English dictionary