noun[mass noun] Medicine
A condition in which the heart ceases to beat.
- She developed asystole, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed for 20 minutes.
- This was no easy arrest to manage, as the heart rhythm alternated between ventricular fibrillation and asystole.
- A proportion of patients are unsuitable for defibrillation because their initial arrhythmia is asystole or pulseless electrical activity.
- Example sentences
- The practice of maintaining brain stem dead patients on mechanical ventilation until they become asystolic has largely ceased in the United Kingdom as a result of the clear guidelines of the royal colleges.
- A 74-year-old man with a history of coronary artery disease was found in asystolic arrest and was brought to the emergency department at this hospital.
- He notes that the increased myocardial oxygen consumption occurring with epinephrine may have harmful effects in patients with asystolic cardiac arrest.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: asys|tole
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.