noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Partial collapse or incomplete inflation of the lung.More example sentences
- Indications for postoperative mechanical ventilation are respiratory acidosis, severe hypoxemia, atelectasis, and pneumonia.
- This edema leads to hyperinflation and atelectasis of the lungs, and wheezing.
- The tumor or its effects, atelectasis or pneumonia, are usually evident on the chest radiograph.
mid 19th century: from Greek atelēs 'imperfect' + ektasis 'extension'.
More definitions of atelectasisDefinition of atelectasis in:
- The US English dictionary