Definition of athletic in English:
1Physically strong, fit, and active: big, muscular, athletic boys
More example sentences
- He was a short man, less than five feet tall, but in his young days he was physically strong and athletic.
- Their gracefulness and expressiveness hid the fact that they were also very athletic and strong.
- They're athletic, quick, strong, aggressive guys and they're always improving.
muscular, muscly, sturdy, strapping, well built, powerfully built, strong, powerful, robust, able-bodied, vigorous, hardy, lusty, hearty, hale and hearty, brawny, burly, broad-shouldered, thickset, Herculean;
fit, fighting fit, as fit as a fiddle, as fit as a flea, in good shape, in good trim, in trim, in tip-top condition, aerobicized, healthy, in good health, bursting with health, in fine fettle, as strong as an ox, as strong as a horse, as strong as a lion;
British in rude health
North American informal buff
US informal jacked
literary thewy, stark
2 [attributive] British Relating to athletes or athletics: athletic events an athletic club
More example sentences
- Brian is a member of the Newcastle athletic club and the long jump is his specialist field.
- Sports physiologists know that athletic ability does not deteriorate nearly as rapidly as was once thought.
- Eight years later Tokyo was host to one of the greatest athletic battles in recent history.
- Example sentences
- A decade later and the sport is not only more athletically demanding, but there is clearly a younger breed of competitor more willing to challenge established methods.
- Tyler has applied himself both academically and athletically.
- Phillips has taken up the challenge to develop a higher level of interest among the more athletically inclined students.
Words that rhyme with athleticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, arithmetic, ascetic, balletic, bathetic, cosmetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, kinetic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, peripatetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, splenetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.