Definition of atomize in English:
1Convert (a substance) into very fine particles or droplets: (as adjective atomized) finely atomized fuel
More example sentences
- This pressure level is meant to atomize the fuel into fine particles to ensure clean combustion.
- When the carburetor can emulsify and atomize the fuel mixture well, distribution to each cylinder improves.
- The arc melts the wires and the molten metal is atomized by a continuous flow of either high-velocity compressed air or nonoxidizing gases, such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen, or argon.
1.1Reduce to atoms.
- Clearly, my watch cannot survive ‘disassembly’ into its constituent atoms: to atomize my watch is to destroy it for ever.
- The disadvantage is that when they explode, the material is atomised and then can be inhaled by anybody of any age in the locality afterwards.
- Soon Andy also acquires an absurd-looking gun that completely atomizes anything he points it at.
1.2Break up into small units: by disrupting our ties with our neighbours, crime atomizes society
More example sentences
- While industrial and information economic models tend to atomise society into individual units, nothing works without some level of cooperation and cohesion.
- Where trust is absent, suspicion rules; you deal only with those you know first-hand, which atomizes society and diminishes the range of human experience.
- A common criticism of cities throughout the ages is that they atomise society, that they replace community with a mere collection of strangers living in close proximity to each other.
- Example sentences
- Overall, atomization bred apathy towards the higher state structure.
- Nothing that has happened since that day has altered the mood of atomisation and political alienation within our societies, or galvanised public support for politics and government.
- There is a growing sense of atomisation and alienation in the West.
Definition of atomize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan